Monday, December 19, 2016

Fingerless Gloves for Warm London

While an Arctic Blast causes plummeting temperatures in parts of the United States, London is still relatively warm. Have even opted out of wearing a coat the last few days... long sweater is all that's needed, especially when going into overly heated stores to Christmas shop. Although I'm currently working on a pair of mittens for my eldest who goes to school in central New York state, I'm also finishing a pair of fingerless gloves for someone at work. I think I've worn gloves only a handful of times this season and didn't really need them even then. Thought that this year I might just knit everyone fingerless gloves as they are really perfect for London much of the time.

Decided on the Sailor's Rib Fingerless Gloves by Gretchen Tracy because of all the interesting textures in the pattern, from the palm to the top of the hand. My friend suggested navy or gray and I happened to have two balls of something old I had gotten at a garage sale. In my mind I thought this yarn might be acrylic, which I guessed would be fine for a glove which may need to be washed more often. but when I looked more closely at the aging label, I realized it was actually 100% wool from New Zealand (or Australia), quite soft and a nice weight for the pattern. I've tried to research the company to see if they are still around, but I can't seem to find any information. When I look up Thorbred yarns, I see a few other labels, but truthfully, nothing that looks this old. Would love to hear if anyone knows how old this wool is. Still in very good shape... looks and feels great.

No comments: