Monday, September 1, 2008

Knitting as an Ice-Breaker

I took my youngest daughter to the park down the street after work today. She met a little girl there that she wanted to see again. That little girl wasn't there, but there was another group that were close to her age. She kept trying to get in there and make friends, but they were really into a game and she's a little shy. I sent her back over one last time and she made friends and got into the game and had a great time. So proud of her... although a little quiet, she's always good at making friends... has a sweet manner and other kids respond to her.

So what does that have to do with anything? Well, as she was making friends, I was sitting on a bench knitting and was thinking that I should probably be making friends as well. Looked to my left and there were two grandmotherly women talking to each other (not in English). They seemed to know each other well. Other moms were paired up with the moms of children the same age as their own. Since my kid should have grown out of the playground two years ago, I was sort of out of the loop. Lots of cute kids came up and gave me big grins and shy waves, but no moms in sight. Finally, a woman with two very young children stopped by to get a snack out of her stroller and she made a comment about my knitting and how she loves to knit but the last sweater she knit for her toddler took her months. The baby had on one of her creations, which was beautiful. Wish I had knit when my kids were younger. She was from Slovakia, and when she talked to her kids in Slovak, it all sounded sort of familiar even though I never learned much Czech. So my point being... knitting is often a nice way to open conversations, even if it's someone just asking what you're knitting or saying they wished they knit. It's a nice way to break the ice.

Still working on the felted pillow as a gift. Finished another square today at the park. Only six more to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, knitting can definitely be an ice breaker. It has happened to me many times and I love when it happens. In fact, at the service station just last week as I was waiting for my vehicle to be serviced, it was an older retired gentleman who broke the ice in the room. He had taken to knitting in his retirement and was just learning to turn the heel of a sock. He had many questions ( most for which I happened to have answers ). We had a delightful discussion.

Moral ? Knitters are fine folks and a friendly lot, are they not ?

Wishing you lots of luck in London. New place, new people, new job, and new yarn shops !

Debbie

PS....I think the Czech language is a difficult one to learn. I have been married to a Czech for 29 years and cannot speak more than just a few phrases though I can understand more just from years of listening to him converse with his parents.

Debbie