Thursday, August 28, 2008

Connected to the Outside World!

Got hooked up to Internet in our new apartment yesterday, so I can finally write (pretty sure that adding to my personal blog at a new job would be a stupid move, so I've been noticeably silent). Anyway, we've gotten moved in and the shipment came and we're slowly getting settled.

The school's welcoming committee has been great about setting up little excursions for all the new faculty. They took us to the London Eye, which I'd already been on, but much nicer when its free! Also took us to Kenilworth Castle and Stratford with other new faculty. Very beautiful and nice to get out the city for the day. Years ago I spent a lot of time in Stratford, which I love. Quite a bit of construction going on at the moment, but still beautiful. Tried to find this little fish 'n chips shop that I went to years ago. There was a bit of a big deal surrounding the shop at that time because they were still using real newsprint to wrap the food in. It was a health concern, but even so, people were reluctant to give up that tradition. Couldn't remember the location, so I went into a shop and asked the sales people if they knew of it. I think I described it as "a local favorite" and "small hole-in-the wall that's been around forever." Sure enough, they immediately came up with the name--Kingfisher. The young woman said that it's her family's favorite and the only place they get their fish 'n chips. It's away from all the tourist shops so the prices are much better. The only trouble... they're closed on Sundays. We'll just have to go back when it's open. Walked along the river in Stratford and took the foot ferry (the girls are on it in the picture to the left) and on to Trinity Church to see Shakespeare's tomb. I've seen all the other Shakespeare properties and would love for my family to see them too, but it's an all-day thing and cheaper to do when you can buy the combo ticket (at least if it's the same as in the past). We'll definitely need to go back.

On to knitting news... all that yarn that I boxed up and shipped has been unpacked but is still a big mess. Have too many projects going at the moment and nothing close to being finished... to the point where I've been frogging and re-knitting pieces, which is never fun so those things have been set aside for a little while. You can see the vest that I've been working on (Leftovers). Have the next done now, but will probably frog it as I think the stitches need to be closer together. Also have the arm trim started, but I'm stalled. I do this every time with things. I just can't finish. Did finish a tunic top for my daughter. That thing had been sitting around for six months or more, but now it's finally done. I'll get her to pose soon so I can post a picture.

Right now I'm in the middle knitting a birthday gift for a friend's daughter. Her birthday was yesterday and I'm probably at least a week away from finishing even in a perfect world, so I need to put other things aside for the moment. I'm making her a pillow for her room. Felted blue and white with flowers sewed on (at least that's what it looks like in my head). Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... Fish and chips wrapped in newsprint. I remember it well and can almost taste it.

Glad to see that you are all settled in, and still knitting.

The leftovers vest looks great in the pictures !

Debbie

KKF said...

Yes... the colors worked pretty well together. There are two different shades of the bluish color, but there's enough of a different that it makes it a little more interesting. The only problem was that the yarn in the darker shade is a hair thinner, but I think it will look fine once blocked and on. I'll get back to it eventually.