Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Turkey

In October, we took a family trip to Istanbul, Turkey, so of course, I took my knitting. Earlier in October, I had finished a cute little skirt for my youngest based on a pattern I found in Suzan Mischer's Greetings from Knit Cafe, and wanted to do something similar for my eldest. She thought the skirt was simply too frilly for her, so I decided to make her a long tunic that she could wear with jeans instead. Here I am working on it on the Ido ferry up the Bosphorus.

That was one of the few days I got much knitting in while traveling through Istanbul. Most public transport was so crowded we were forced to stand, or we walked. We did A LOT of walking.

Didn't have much success finding wool in Istanbul, but can't say that I tried very hard. We were traveling with another family with a total of four children and yarn shops weren't high on anyone's list but mine. We did find the textile areas of the Grand Bazaar (Kapali Carsi) and in the area around the Egyptian Bazaar (Misir Carsisi). Although I was able to find a couple of shops, the selection wasn't extensive. They did have some great felted hats and fez caps, very artistic. You can see there picture to the right.

Of course, we did have a long lesson on Turkish rugs and kilims. The kids were great -- entertained themselves, drank cup after cup of apple tea and listened to each lesson about what makes rugs, carpets and kilims different. Two places were recommended by the International schools in Turkey as being aboveboard with quality items and good deals. Adnan & Husan in the Grand Bazaar by the Fez Cafe and the Crazy Lady's shop was a great place, and there was also a place in the Cavalry Bazaar (first series of stores as you walk down the stairs). I even received a Christmas card from them this year. Just tell them the teachers from the International School of Prague sent you.:)

No comments: