Thursday, July 24, 2008

Chair Sox

I'm thinking, depending on the apartment we find in London and the type of flooring it has, that I may make chair socks next. I first saw chair socks at the house of some friends--they had gotten them in Japan where they are common. I've been looking for a pattern, but I guess that isn't really necessary. A small tube sock would do. I've been looking for ideas and found a place that sells them here and some free patterns here and here.

I love the colorful sock yarn that's out there... something brown with a splash of color. Before we left Prague, a friend gave us a table that she had made when she lived in China. There are eight chairs (32 socks) so that's another never-ending project, but might be worth it. Will see what yarn I have in my stash that was sent in our shipment. I don't want to buy anything new unless I really need it.

Anyone out there have a nice chair sock pattern that they've seen?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hand knit chair socks ! What a terrific idea. I once made chair socks by cutting the fingers from those little stretchy gloves you find in the thrift stores. It worked well, but your idea is even better.

While on the topic of socks for inanimate objects, I plan to knit a l-o-o-o-o-ng sock for my vacuum cleaner hose to keep it from chewing up the corners of walls and furniture. ( And also, I will look super cool while vacuuming, will I not ?) Friends, however, think I am taking this knitting thing a little too far. I can't wait to tell them about your chair socks !

Debbie

KKF said...

Never thought of a vacuum cleaner hose cover before. We have one of those central vac systems and my hose is sooooo long it would take me a year to knit a sock for the thing. Good luck and send a picture when you're done.

Anonymous said...

Mine is a central vac as well. Expect a photo in ....oh.....10 years or so........maybe less, if I use a heavier gauge yarn and big fat needles ! At any rate, I think it is a good idea, like your chair socks.