Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Digging Through Years of Stuff

We're here for so little time over the summer... it would be fun just to play the entire time, but that never really happens. Yesterday I spent a few hours digging through all sorts of papers and stuff we've saved over the years with the idea that maybe we'd use it, need it, appreciate it sometime in the future. Sometime never came so we're packing it up for the church garage sale, for recycling and for the trash if all else fails. For many years I saved all the girls' school stuff (it was all so precious back then) and put it in bins to look at later. Later was yesterday and needless to say, we had a big bonfire yesterday and will recycle the rest. Saved a couple of the best things from each year. I'm sure in a year or two I'll throw more out. I've been much better the last two years ditching things as the kids bring them home. Anyway, still have too much stuff in those bins in the basement, but will continue to reduce. Finally feeling like we're making progress.

Followed a beaver for a quarter mile or so today with my youngest in the kayak. The wind was blowing so he couldn't smell us so we went undetected (or at least he didn't seem to care we were there).

Got the boat lift in yesterday and the boat will go in today. Wish us luck. My husband and his father spent hours trying to get this old boat lift to fit the boat--lots of welding, cutting of metal, pounding, painting... I only have to help when it comes to putting the thing in the water (which isn't really fun), but it did help that I picked up a wetsuit that fits. Much more comfortable.

No comments: