Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Northland Knitting

The kids let me stop at two knitting stores on the way to St. Cloud. I enjoyed both, but they were both quite different. The first stop was in Pequot Lakes at a place called Unraveled (31069 Country Road 112). The owner seemed super friendly, but I didn't really take time to ask questions. She had a great selection of interesting yarns from different fibers--bamboo and corn, for example. She had a nice selection of magazines and the old magazines came buy 1, get 1 free, which is great for me because I'm never around during the year to get the magazines from fall and winter.

The second shop is in Baxter and after pulling into the parking lot, I almost didn't get out because it says, "Clothing" in large letters on the window, and "& yarn" sort of as an after thought. I figured they wouldn't really have much. Boy was I wrong. Sue, the owner, has a nice little store called Among the Pines (15670 Edgewood Dr.) Lots of great wool (she does a lot of felting) and lots of knitted and felted examples all over the store. Also lots of books and magazines for sale. The woman who helped me couldn't have been nicer and Sue, who was helping another customer, kept coming over and helping me decide how much yarn to buy. She was great in that she showed me how to combine yarns, so I wasn't buying just the expensive stuff, which was nice. (You can see my purchase being wound into balls--for felting a pillow for downstairs.) They said they have Tuesday night knitting club where people just stop in and knit. There were a couple of afghans that two women from the knitting night had finished (they were sharing yarn). Absolutely beautiful. Among the Pines didn't sell much of the specialty fibers that Unraveled had, but they certainly had a beautiful selection of fine wool. I'd highly recommend both stores--depending on your needs.

Finished another panel for my curtain fiasco. Bought some ribbon in St. Cloud. Started putting the pieces together, but ran out of the ribbon. Now I need to go back to St. Cloud and pick up more. That's the problem with living out in the middle of nowhere... I think it's looking okay. The panels aren't lining up as well as I'd like, but it should be fine. The point is to block out some of the direct sunlight in the morning so we can sleep past 5:30 a.m.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Those felted flowers are amazing. Do you know if there's a pattern for those, or are they just freehand? Glad you found your curtain pattern--I saw your post asking for the cast on info, but couldn't find my copy of the book.

KKF said...

Sorry, Carrie. I don't know if the flowers come from a pattern or just from the head of the owner of the store. They were really lovely. If I find out, I'll let you know.