Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Benefits of Knitting with Those in the Know

In the last post, you got a chance to see the sweater I'm making for a friend's baby. I was almost done with the second side when I went to my knitting group. I asked them to help me read the pattern because I was really missing something... and that something was intarsia. I was totally forgetting to weave the two colors around each other. I had two different colors that were not connected and I just sewed them together after the fact. Once they showed me what to do, I just felt so stupid for not figuring it out for myself. Of course everyone was too nice to actually say so, but they could have and I would have agreed. I've used the technique with other patterns, but just didn't make the connection on this one.

Then I needed to decide whether to start the whole thing over again or just fix it from that point on. "Are they knitters?" one asked... "if not, they'll never know the difference."
"Start over, you'll never be happy with it if you don't" said another.
"It's hardly noticeable. Just keep going" said the last.
I haven't touched the sweater for more than a week and today, when I finally got back to it, I frogged the side that wasn't complete and started over and will do another left-hand side as well. I realized that I wouldn't be happy with the sweater and would be embarrassed to give it to friends even though they would never know the difference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To tell you the truth, I would have frogged it myself. Even if the recipient didn't know it wasn't meant to be that way, I would know. But it always seems so cruel to tell someone to frog.

- Eve

KKF said...

Eve, you are so right. I know how hard it is to tell someone to frog--does seem cruel.

I remember going to another knitting group with this HUGE sweater that I'd started for my husband. Somehow my gauge was off and it could have wrapped around him several times over. I was getting ready to frog it, but the women in the room felt so bad about all my lost time and effort, they spent the night trying to come up with ideas of what I could use this piece of knitting for--a skirt, a shawl... all sorts of things. In the end I frogged and was happy despite weeks of lost knitting.