Monday, March 3, 2008

Knitting Shops in Berlin

I just returned from a librarians' conference in Berlin where I had very little time to search out wool shops, but that does not mean I was without success. There was a website that listed shops in a variety of German cities, with several listed in Berlin, but I was only able to get to one and barely...

The conference was way on the eastern side of Berlin, so I had a heck of a trip to the yarn store. I also am not the type of person who can skip anything, especially if my school is funding me, so I waited until after the last session to hightail it out of there and onto the S-Baun...

The shop, La Laine, is located close to the Savignyplatz station off the S-Baun. If you follow the signs to Kantstrasse, you will come out of the station and from where I was, it was a right and another right. I have to take a moment here to explain just how big Berlin is compared to Prague (or at least the places I go on public transportation here are maybe 20 minutes at the most, so I really misjudged the time). With connections, the ride itself took me almost an hour and a half from where I was. I could tell that I was going to be cutting it short. I practically ran down the street and made it into the door of the place at 6:59 p.m. on a Friday evening.

The woman who was working in the store, and I believe possibly the owner, could not have been nicer. She was super helpful and stayed open as long as I needed. I would have loved to have really browsed, but I knew I was keeping her from her Friday night. She had a beautiful store with lots of types of wool and cotton yarn. The displays were nicely done. I would highly recommend a visit if you're in the neighborhood.

La Laine, Kantstrasse 145, Berlin, Germany. Monday-Friday 10:00 to 19:00 and Saturday 10:00 to 15:00. www.lalaineberlin.de

2 comments:

Verona said...

What a great adventure you had in Berlin. I'm from Munich and I really do envy you for that wonderful trip you made and the experiences you had. I wish I would have had the chance to accompany you. I’m also a teacher; unfortunately my school never sends us anyplace let along overseas…

KKF said...

What are the wool shops like in Munich? I was there for an afternoon before Christmas. We were in Passau visiting friends. I didn't have time to look for yarn stores while I was there.