Monday, April 14, 2008

De Afstap Wool Shop, Amsterdam

We started the day at the Our Lord in the Attic museum. Our youngest liked the story of this hidden church from the 17th century that she heard about on our walking tour and wanted to go back. I think it was the idea that you entered the church through the fireplace (maybe that's true, but I didn't see evidence of it). They had a great tour for the kids (lots of hands-on activities).

We then walked by the wool shop that we'd been by a couple of days ago. It was closed until 1:00, so we went to lunch. When we got back, I got to browse for about fifteen minutes. De Afstap had a great selection of books, yarns, needles, embroidery thread and some fabric. There was a big selection books from the US, the UK and Europe, but I wasn't about to buy the US titles in Euros when I can get them cheaper over the summer. They also had a lot of Rowan yarns. Nice selection, but again, I wasn't looking to buy Rowan since we'll be moving to England come summer. I asked if they had any "local" wool, but she said they didn't. Not sure there is anything local made in the Netherlands, but I thought I would ask. The women there seemed friendly and helpful and they had a nice presentation. They had quite a few hand-knit sweaters on display and for sale. It was fun. There were a couple of Rowan sweaters knit up--I'd seen them in the books, but never finished. Kids and husband came back--time to go.

Then went to the Rijksmuseum -- houses such Dutch painters as Rembrandt (The Night Watch) and Vermeer (The Kitchen Maid). Great collection. We've done this enough with the kids that we're finally starting to get our acts together. We bring two audio jack splitters, extra ear buds and then rent two audio guides at the museum and share. Our kids have always really gotten into these guides. They love hearing about the paintings and it gives us time to take a good look at collections.

No comments: