Monday, April 14, 2008

Visiting Leiden

Leiden is a beautiful university town about a 35-minute train ride from Amsterdam. If you're from the States, it's the place from where the Pilgrims came (Mayflower). John Robinson (he didn't actually make the voyage) and his group of Pilgrims bought a piece of land near the Pieterskerk (St. Peter's church) in Leiden. Actually, our friend Lynn owns a fantastic apartment that is on Pilgrim property so when she was buying the place, she had to sit through several hours of reading of a legal document that she had to sign that stated that she understood that this property was Pilgrim "owned." Not that anyone will reclaim it... but by law she had to hear the entire document.

We also visited the Botanical Gardens, which were very nice. Statues are great and it winds along the canals. Weather was unpredictable... pouring rain to sunny blue skies.

As mentioned in the last post, it was Sunday, and although big stores like H&M were open, the smaller shops were closed. My friend Lynn said that the last Sunday of the month all the stores are open... I have horrible timing. I did find the store as you can see from the pictures, but could only window shop. That's probably better for my pocketbook, but I would have liked to get my hands on something. The store is called Ribbels and is located just behind Pieterskerk (the church).

Suppose I should tell you what I'm knitting. I'm making a baby blanket for a friend. It's called the Hoover Blanket and it's the first time I've tried double knitting. It's actually going very well, just hope I'll have enough yarn. More on that later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did a Hoover blanket once, for the baby of a friend of Jeff's. Never, ever again. I loved the look and feel of it, and it wasn't difficult, but it went so slowly.

Next time anyone I know wants a baby blanket, they're getting a diagonal garter-stitch one. Those I can do in me sleep!

KKF said...

You are so right. It IS going slowly. It's like knitting two blankets at once. Probably should have gone smaller on this one as well. :)