Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mohawk FINALLY Finished!

I'm not going to say I'm super happy with this hat, but it is finished. Went to my knitting group yesterday and powered through the pattern. Watched a movie last night and put all the "hair" on. You can see the big problem is that the cheap acrylic yarn that I used is too floppy to stay up. I could trim it more and maybe that would help, but thought I should ask Marcus how he feels about the length because once it's cut, there's no going back. I even interspersed real wool between the acrylic to try to give the mohawk some body, but it didn't really work. I might be able to put a little more hair in, but most of the stitches are full. The picture here is of my husband who has a smaller head than the guy who will be wearing it, so the hat looks a little funny, but at least you can see it. The piece was pretty lumpy, but I steamed it and I actually like what it did to the yarn. It sort of flattened it out and looks a bit like felted fabric. It hides all the sins. I'll post another picture when it's with its rightful owner.

As you can see, I have the hats ready for tomorrow and the big trip. Too bad the snow conditions are so poor. Hoping the trip goes. I've spent too much time, energy and money on these hats for the trip to be canceled :(

I'm trying to get packed and one of the things I need to make sure to pack is knitting for the week. Last year I thought I took way too much, but ran out. I hate that feeling. We watched The Golden Compass the other night and my daughter wants a Lyra hat, so I will get the pattern from the Internet and take yarn for that. I also want to knit a chunky white ski hat to go with my new ski jacket. Neither will take long so I need to think of something else. Maybe one of those projects already on the needles.

No comments: