Saturday, May 17, 2008

Boy or Girl?

I never found out the sex of my two girls before they were born. I wanted a surprise. I wanted the doctor to say, "It's a...!" and I'd be surprised and elated. Funny story about our first daughter... when she was born, my husband (a biology teacher) immediately looked at the genitals and said, "It's a boy!?" The doctor quickly corrected him, reminding him that the genitals are often quite swollen at birth. Anyway, for a brief moment he had a son. We also sort of winged it when it came to preparing for the babies beforehand. A few things in neutral colors... pieced together changing table made out of abandoned school desks (while living in Taiwan). We kept it pretty low key, so it didn't seem important to know the gender.

So what's my point? My point is, now that I knit, I'm torn. I want to encourage people to have the fun of the surprise, but the reality is, I really want to know if it's a boy or girl because it's easier for me.

Here's my solution...

It's a BOY!

It's a GIRL!So does this work... ribbon vs. cord? a little bow on a blue hat? Hmmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think it works very well. I, like you, never wanted to know the sex of my children before they were born. I don't peek into Christmas presents before Christmas morning either. It's kind of the same thing. The element of surprise adds to the excitement of the experience. Also, as a nurse, I was once in the delivery room with a mother who was told she was having a girl and it actually turned out to be a boy !!!

Having said that, I can see the practicality and advantage to knowing if that is your thing. And it sure makes completing the knitting project less complicated. The hat and booties are lovely. I intend to knit those soon for a baby born last weekend.

Debbie

KKF said...

One of my friends having a baby here said that the nurse told her, "If I had to guess, I'd say it might be a girl... I can't tell for sure. I'm guessing..." She later said, "I've never guessed wrong, but I'm telling you, I GUESSING it's a girl." I'm sure she did this to avoid the "You said it's a girl!" and then having it be a boy thing. Can you imagine?