Sunday, May 4, 2008

Green Line Marathon... and it has nothing to do with running


Participated in my first Green Line Marathon (GLM) yesterday. In case you don't know, this is a long-standing tradition with the teachers at the school and involves taking the green line of the Prague metro (also known as the A line) to various stops throughout the day. At each stop, the group gathers for a pivo. Several of the stops are outdoor beer gardens, which were nice when the sun was out. There are games and everyone has a job... cheerleaders, nurses, an archeologist, a shaman, sweepers, the Tsar of Transportation... the list goes on. It all ends at a Greek restaurant for a wonderful meal.

I guess in years past there were many more stops so you can imagine the state of people by the end, but this year's was fun and friendly and no pressure if you didn't want to drink. I went because some of the people who have been here a very long time will be leaving the school and it seemed like something I should do once before we leave as well.

There are some sort of funny traditions... Twenty-four cans of Spam were used to make sandwiches to nourish people throughout the day, and this year the Spam hat was passed onto the person taking over Spam responsibilities next year. My Spam sandwich, the "vegetarian" (just meant it was on wheat bread instead of white) gave me a bit of a stomach ache, so I passed on any more. There was a Wheel of Entertainment and I had to do a tap dance (really pathetic), but others were quite talented at their tasks.

I was warned that I wouldn't be allowed to knit, but when I got there with my knitting and it was green, I was given permission to proceed by the event organizers. :)

I now realize I'm not really going to have enough yarn to finish this thing and have now found out that the yarn has been discontinued. Looked on eBay, and although they had the same brand, they did not have the same color. I will have to keep looking. I've tried a few places, but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about finding discontinued yarn. I could go with a different color, but not sure how that will look. Hummm...

No comments: