Sunday, May 25, 2008

Saw Czech President at the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra Concert

Totally cool thing happened last night... A friend suggested we go see the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra because they were playing in a beautiful venue--the Spanish Hall in the Prague Castle (Pražský hrad). From what I've heard, this room is normally opened only twice a year to the public, so a concert there is a special event. The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra was invited to Prague by Czech President Klaus, who requested that they perform pieces by Thad Jones. However, none of us knew that when we bought tickets. Once there, I knew something big was up because we saw the American Ambassador and his wife and about half the seats were reserved for important people... The "big" was that Klaus showed up. He spoke to the audience and graciously translated for the band members (and the rest of us in the audience who haven't mastered Czech). It was totally cool to be so close to a Head of State (and with what seemed like so little security). Although they had metal detectors close to the entrance, they were in plastic wrap and not used at all. Can you imagine that ever happening in the States?

However, I have to tell you that I'm having a major shoe dilemma at the moment. I don't have the shoes that I really need for this sort of event and I'm not about to buy them before the move so I threw on all that I had. It was really hot that day so I wore a pair of slip-on sandals (leather, but slip-on). I had no idea that the President would be there... all I could think about when he showed up were those college volleyball girls who met President Bush in their flip flops. Eeek!

Anyway, a great experience to have before leaving Prague... now if I can only meet the Queen of England next :)

No comments: