Friday, May 9, 2008

Road Trip to Boleslawiec, Poland

Went on a road trip with my friend Tracy yesterday to buy Polish pottery. Wanted to pick up some gifts and a few items for myself before we move. Without traffic, Boleslawiec is about a three-hour drive from Prague, and with the border now open that cuts time off the trip. Because it was a Czech holiday yesterday and we didn't have to work, we were able to spend the whole day in Poland and didn't have to brave busy weekend shoppers once there. The stores were virtually empty and they also stay open longer during the week so there wasn't the rush we often feel on the weekend.

Tracy's directions from the Internet mentioned the town of Luban, so when we saw that on a sign, we turned. We were off the main highway this way, but it was a beautiful sunny Spring day and all the fruit trees were in bloom--it was the best mistake we could have made. The driving is slower because you're on small country roads, but the scenery was beautiful. There are old farm houses and barns. People still had May poles up from last weekend. It was lovely. Not sure I'd take that route under other circumstances, but we loved it.

When driving into town from Prague, there are several great shops on the right side of the road just after the roundabout (and near the Carrefour), and there are some great shops under the railroad trellis to the left of the roundabout, but you really do miss something if you don't take a quick side trip into the center of town. There aren't pottery shops there so many pottery hunters don't even know it exists. We walked through the town square and ate at my favorite pizza place, Sawanna. It's a bit of a cave in the winter, but we ate outside in the sunshine under umbrellas so it was beautiful. I've been there twice and in my opinion it's the best pizza in Europe.

If you have never been to Boleslawiec and are planning to go, I'll let you know that it took me two trips before I bought anything. The problem for me and many people I know is just how overwhelming it is. There are just too many choices and everything is so pretty that making a decision can be a problem. Then I know people who have waited to buy something, thinking they will get it another time, only to find that it's no longer being made. There are differences in quality from store to store so make sure to look around a little before spending everything in one place (unless you're sure you're getting quality). There are lots of great shops, and I don't remember all the names, but some of my favorites are: Henry's (ul. Maasarska 1), Vena, Ceramika Keramik Cer-Far (ul. Kosciuszki 17), and the strip of stores behind the fence on the right of the roundabout before Carrefour. There are many more that I like, but I usually find something I like in these places.

With six hours in the car, I should have gotten more knitting done. I finished a hat to go with the Baby's First Tattoo Sweater. The gauge is right and the age is right, so I don't know why it looks too big to me. Up against the sweater it looks like the child would need a freakishly large head to wear both at the same time. Looked head circumference up on a chart. Says that a boys' head is 46 cm at 12 months (50th percentile). That means it should fit. Guess I've just forgotten that they're all head at that stage of development.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Compliments on your photography ! You have a keen eye. And this is a very beautiful part of the world.

Love the pottery bowls. I have taken to using some of my pottery bowls to place my hand wound balls of yarn in as I knit. It keeps the balls from scooting across the floor as they unfurl and.... they are a visual delight, adding another pleasing element to the whole experience.

Debbie, aka yarnRx

KKF said...

Great use for a Polish pottery bowl! I'll have to remember that.