Monday, May 19, 2008

Ego Boost

I was at this great BBQ on Sunday to celebrate the fact that a friend's husband who has been finishing up work in Africa all year, has finally been able to move to the Czech Republic for good to be with his family. Despite not such great weather, there was great food and great company and a great reason to celebrate. Whenever there's conversation I like to pull out the knitting. I actually think it helps me to be a better listener because I don't feel compelled to talk :) I was knitting these little Christine Baby Booties for a woman at work. They're super soft Alpaca wool (Austermann Inka) and really cute. A teacher friend asked what I was knitting--I told her. One thing led to another and she said she'd pay me to knit an identical pair for her brother's baby due in July. No one has ever asked me to knit anything for money before. Feel a little weird taking money other than for the cost of the wool, but it sure is flattering to have someone actually want something I knit and say they'll pay me. If you remember, not too long ago I wasn't sure I'd give a knitted gift again because I hadn't actually seen anyone wear what I'd given them--now I'm getting requests. Thought I'd get started on my curtains for our summer home after I finished the booties in the picture, but now it looks like that will be put off a little while longer.

No comments: